Below are some suggestions for troubleshooting your U-verse remote control:
- Test with another receiver – If you have another U-verse receiver in the house, take the remote to it and see if it responds. If it does, there may be an issue with the receiver in the room. Try power cycling it by unplugging the power, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging it back.
Also, if you have another remote in the house, try bringing the remote into the room in question and seeing if you can change channels. If it does, then that remote may be defective. Try changing the batteries. If still not working, try to reset the remote by following the instructions here.
- Check the mode buttons – For all but the S20 remote, select the AT&T mode button on your U-verse remote to control the U-verse receiver, which gives you access to the U-verse Menu, Channel Guide, and channel functions.
- Check the batteries – When you press the AT&T button located at the top of the remote control, the button should shine brightly. If the button does not shine, change the batteries.
- Check cables – Check for a snug and secure connection of the video cables between your TV, Gateway, and your receiver. Also, make sure your TV’s input settings match the type of cable you are using.
- Aim the remote – Your AT&T U-verse remote control is sending signals to your receiver. Aim the remote control directly at the receiver, not at the TV or another device. Clear any obstructions between the remote control and the receiver. The remote control works at maximum distance of about 20 feet, so make sure you are within that range.
- Maintain adequate space between the receiver and the TV – Some newer TVs have backlighting that occasionally can interfere with the remote control signal. To minimize the possibility of interference, make sure there is adequate space between your TV and the U-verse receiver.
Here is a great post by @aviewer that goes over this more in detail and offers other solutions.
- Properly program your remote- Use the TV Remote Control Setup Tool or view these instructions online.
If the previous information has been exhausted and the remote continues to malfunction, feel free to chat with us. A new remote may be needed.
AT&T Customer Care
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the “Ask a Question” button.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.