Help students graduate!
As an academic editor, you can make an impact by helping students graduate.
- Enhance the language, structure and clarity of term papers, essays and theses.
- Help students finish their bachelor’s, master’s or PhD program!
- Coach students to become better writers.
- Enjoy glowing reviews from happy students.
What is Scribbr?
Since 2012, Scribbr has helped thousands of students earn their degrees. Our team of 500+ academic editors on 6 continents help students across the globe perfect their theses and graduate. We currently offer services in 10 languages, and we are only growing. In fact, Deloitte recently named us one of the fastest-growing startups in the Netherlands.
From our Amsterdam headquarters, we are continuously working to improve our services through innovation and to live up to our reputation as an excellent employer!
Who are Scribbr editors?
We share a love of language and feel satisfaction from helping students clearly express their arguments and ideas. We feel energized when we untangle a complicated sentence or find the right word to express a thought. We enjoy the freedom and flexibility that comes from setting our own schedule and working when and where we would like.
As Scribbr editors, we learn from each other and enjoy being part of a community where we can exchange ideas and best practices. We regularly receive personalized training on how we can develop and hone our skills.
Scribbr takes care of everything from customer contact to technical support, so we can focus on editing.
Benefits for Scribbr editors
- Remote work: Work directly from home, your Airbnb in Mexico or your tent in Nepal.
- Flexibility: Enjoy the freedom to design your own work schedule.
- Administrative support: Let us handle the clients and logistics, so you can focus on editing.
- Technical support: Receive assistance from our support team (whether you have a question about Word or simply need a sympathetic ear).
- Community: Exchange ideas and discuss language issues with other Scribbr editors via our exclusive Slack community for Scribbr editors.
- Creativity: Write for our Scribbroo blog, where our community shares stories and advice for freelancers and language lovers.
- Personal development: Learn how to edit faster and hone your craft with personalized feedback, targeted tips and exclusive data.
- You are a native English speaker.
- You have earned at least a bachelor’s degree.
- You are available at least 10 hours a week.
- You can help out during the busiest months (May and August).
- Every now and then, you are happy to help students during the weekend or on a public holiday.
- You are reliable, flexible and responsive.
- You find meeting deadlines a breeze.
- You are inquisitive and curious about different subjects.
- You have experience in editing (academic) texts.
- You have Microsoft Word 2013 (or later) and a reliable Internet connection.
- We offer editors a fixed rate based on the deadline, word count and selected services, so the rate you earn depends on your order preferences and editing speed. On average, our editors edit 1,700 words per hour and earn €20-€25 per hour.
- Personalized training to help you optimize your skills and knowledge.
- Access to our exclusive editing resources and software to help you work efficiently.
- Invoicing and tax support and bi-monthly paydays.
- 24/7 support to answer your questions.
- Full-time work during busy periods.
- A chance to be part of an active and supportive community of language experts.
How exactly does it work?
Receive and complete orders
- You specify your availability and select your preferences for deadlines and fields of study on our website.
- You are notified about orders via email and SMS, and you can access the details by logging into our online editor interface.
- You edit theses in Microsoft Word on your computer or laptop from wherever in the world you’d like.
Choose your own schedule
- You can accept or decline a job according to your availability and preferences.
- During busy periods, you can work full-time!
Access support from the Scribbr team
- Our help – which includes finding solutions to tough situations and answering any and all of your questions – is available 24/7.
- The Scribbr support team takes care of all customer interaction and ensures that everyone has a positive experience!
Take advantage of training and tap into a network of experienced editors
- Through the Scribbr Academy, you can develop and sharpen your editing skills and knowledge.
- As a Scribbr editor, you will receive regular feedback from senior editors.
- You will receive guidance, tips and tools to help you to edit more efficiently and effectively!
- You will be paid twice per month. We take care of the entire invoicing process for you 🙂
- Need tax-related help? Feel free to ask us for advice.
Frequently asked questions
All Scribbr editors are native speakers, which means that they have spoken English since early childhood. We only work with native speakers because these editors understand the cadence of the language and have mastered its idiomatic forms.
It is difficult for non-native speakers to acquire these traits, even if they are fluent and have spoken the language throughout their adult lives. Since our customers wish to work only with native speakers, we have no flexibility in this requirement.
We don’t rely solely on nativeness. Our editors are vetted through a rigorous application process, through which they are asked to demonstrate technical grammar knowledge, familiarity with academic writing and an understanding of editing principles. All successful applicants also complete our Scribbr Academy training program, where they learn how to edit for students.
On average, you can expect to earn approximately €20 to €25 per hour as a Scribbr editor.
The earnings are calculated based on fixed per-word rates that we have set for different kinds of assignments. We will communicate these rates to you as soon as you are in your Scribbr Academy.
The per-word rate for each order is determined by:
- The editing deadline (the shorter the deadline, the higher the rate); and
- The services purchased (whether a Structure or Clarity Check is booked on top of standard proofreading and editing).
In our Scribbr Academy, we train you to edit as efficiently as possible – which will help you to increase the speed at which you work. For example, we include a Scribbr Word macro that you can use to easily utilize standardized in-text comments.
Incoming editors should be highly knowledgeable regarding grammar, academic style, and the conventions of both US English and UK English.
You’ll need this knowledge to not only edit student papers but also provide individualized feedback for students.
We also expect new editors to have read widely in a variety of fields and to feel comfortable editing academic texts in a range of subjects, including the hard sciences and the social sciences. New editors likewise need to be familiar with the structure of different types of academic texts, including dissertations, theses, reports, and essays.
Finally, you’ll need to be comfortable working with Microsoft Word, including its Track Changes feature.
Since Scribbr specializes in academic editing for students, we require our editors to be thesis and academic writing experts. Every Scribbr editor has a thorough understanding of academic writing conventions and research concepts used in higher education.
Most of the papers we receive are theses and dissertations. We prefer to work with editors who know first-hand how difficult it is to write a thesis, as they can offer constructive and relevant advice to our students.
Therefore, we only accept applications from editors with a university degree.
However, a university degree alone is not enough. All applicants must also demonstrate technical grammar knowledge and fundamental editing skills during the application process. Applicants must also complete our rigorous Scribbr Academy training program before they can join the editor team.
- Availability. If you would like to receive a lot of orders, you can indicate that you are available immediately. We will then try to send more assignments your way.
- Interest in the subject. We will not be as fast to send you orders that are from fields you have not marked as preferred.
- Returning client. We will automatically send you orders from a returning student whose work you have already edited, unless he or she specifically requests otherwise.
The moment we have a new order for you, we will send you an email, an SMS and a notification via your Scribbr account on our website. You may then choose to accept or decline that assignment. You make this decision for every order we send you.
All orders are classified into 1 of 12 categories:
- Marketing and social media:
Business economics, Marketing, Social media
Accountancy, Tourism, Finance, Economics, Business administration
Computer science, Business administration, Informatics
- Exact fields:
Mathematics, Chemistry, Applied science
Engineering, Logistics, Engineering, Automotive/aeronautical technology
- Earth and environment:
Biology, Planning, Food policy, Agriculture
Medicine, Biomedical sciences, Motion technology
- Arts and culture:
Philosophy, Theology, History, Cultural studies, Archaeology
- Law and administration:
Law, Tax law, Public administration, Political science
- Behavior and society:
HR, Psychology, Sociology, Social work
- Education and pedagogy:
Teacher training, Pedagogy
- Language and communication:
Communication, (specific) languages, Journalism
You can specify the fields that you are interested in. When we send you an order, we always take your preferences into account.